Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin

Final Rating: 4.6/5
 
 Allow your mind to escape from the stereotype of "Fantasy"

    I never considered myself an admirer of the whole Fantasy genre. There was always a fine line I would never cross over. However, I think I have stumbled onto something very special with A Game of Thrones and the whole A Song of Ice and Fire series. I was pleasantly surprised with this work. Never have I read a book where the chapters are separated into individual characters points of view, centered around that one character and their whole environment-it was very refreshing and brilliant of the author.

   I have found a little patience is asked of the potential reader when first entering the world of the Seven Kingdoms. The separate chapters and introductions of key characters may seem never ending, but with some interest and an open "trusting" mind follow Mr. Martin into his ever growing epic. However, if you find yourself completely lost with keeping which characters are "direwolf", "lion", or "stag"--flip to the back of the books and discover complete lists of houses, families, alliances, brief descriptions (believe me it will serve the new reader well to reintroduce themselves after finishing one book and moving onto the next).

   In A Game of Thrones, I overall adored the plot and was fascinated with the research that paid homage to medieval elements: the weapons, clothing, feudal system, battle scenes, war tactics, geography etc. It all just flowed beautifully where you believed you entered into a realistic world with minute touches of whimsy. On the note of "whimsy", I am happy, relieved and thankful to report to any interested readers that there were no to a few cliché fantasy characters/species. A Game of Thrones (as well as the whole series) is full of betrayal, adventure, drama, mystery, and classic revenge. I found myself gasping when thrilling and dismal surprises touched heroes and villains alike. Throughout the novel(s) the evidence of "grey" characters was an unexpected change from the usual light and dark personalities.

   The reader will also find that Mr. Martin has a talent to capture and bottle the element of foreshadowing (every "symbol" has a meaning that will resurface with a flash and a boom as the reader progresses into the ever growing plot). I must also note that, it has also come to my attention that Mr. Martin has based his brilliant series on actual history or to more specific the Wars of the Roses and possibly even pulls events and pieces from the hardly mentioned Armagnac–Burgundian Civil War- this creates interest, curiosity for many more topics and events to be explored by any potential reader (you will love History again).

   The only part(s) in this book (and series) that keeps it becoming a solid 5 star rating (for me) are the graphic sex sections and modern vulgar language. At first, I tried to remember history/ancient beliefs, human conditioning from the Medieval stand point and the warped entertainment expectations of today (sadly, sex sells). All of the needless scenes and language all seemed to sum back to something that unfortunately had to be there to push the realism and sell the product. Realism and product marketing aside, I must confess after awhile the graphic scenes and cussing (that seemed to come out of nowhere) started to wear on me and I desperately wished them gone from my vivid imagination. All negative aspects aside, I am very happy I stumbled upon this series and highly recommend for those readers who wish to escape from the stereotype of "fantasy".

-Reviewed January 2011, review written 2011, first read and purchased on my nook then purchased title for my kindle


Next in the series:

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire #2)

by

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3)


by

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)


by

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)


by

*Last two books have no release date set and titles may change before final publication

The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire #6)


by

A Dream of Spring (A Song of Ice and Fire #7)


by


 



No comments:

Post a Comment