![]() |
| Final Rating: 2.8/5 |
There is no doubt that The Rival Queens: Catherine de' Medici, Her Daughter Marguerite de Valois, and the Betrayal that Ignited a Kingdom carries and delivers the cache of French 16th-century: betrayals, jealousies, political and religious factions and of course murderous blood relations in its pages but for this reader, I was looking for more history and solid facts versus speculation and less sounding biased views of historic individuals. This was one royalty biography I have been anticipating for months and I very sorry to say, it was a mere disappointing read that I sorely wish I could speak more positively about.
Judging by the slew of positive reviews for this work, I seem to be among the few who didn’t love this book. For me, throughout this title there was a distracting odd informal tone and to be quite honest, I finished having the feeling I was on a much anticipated tour with a guide who at times seemed to take advantage of the unfamiliar visitor only sharing information that avoided certain topics and admissions of personal interpretations while at the same time overemphasizing and repeating thoughts and comments as hard facts leaving no opportunities for debate or questions. Although I did learn about personality and supposed characters flaws and royal scandals while on this tour; it became very awkward to try to decipher what was fact or fiction on certain important subjects and historic figures. This may serve as a perfect introduction through the intricate workings of 16th and early 17th-century French court and politics for someone else but for me I think it best I try to find another guide for this fascinating era of history and key opponents.
-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:
Post a Comment