Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Midnight Watch: A Novel of the Titanic and the Californian by David Dyer

Final Rating: 3.1/5

Messages from below and above the waterline and the ship that stood still on that fateful April night

  I am never surprised to see a new debut novel with the majestic hook of the RMS Titanic dangling out of book descriptions. The story of the life and death of that engineered marvel of Edwardian splendor along with her passengers, designer and crew members is one that can be retold and cast about a thousand different directions and this reader like so many out there would happily follow that line with much interest. Adding the unique lure of highly detailed research from a debut author or the controversial mystery of the SS Californian and her eternal tangle with the final story of the Titanic and that easily becomes "the" novel of the year to read as I envision the possibilities of a refreshing and completely riveting tale to add to my welcoming shelves. Well although refreshing to encounter, vastly detailed with so many carefully placed specifics and even staying true to the widely believed exaggerated “facts” at the time of the disaster (these overall demonstrating an admirable dedication of research about the main subjects), it just wasn't exactly what I was hoping to find sadly and I’m very sorry to say I closed the cover of The Midnight Watch with a disappointed sigh.

   Believe me I feel terrible to admit any feeling of disappointment after anticipating this novel for so many months but I won’t lie; it just ended as not my ideal type of book. I knew I was in trouble when I first noticed the odd slight modern tone of the passages and the forward opinions and thoughts of the narrator that seemed very out of place and era. Thinking back, the book really didn’t need the narrator the story would have been great with just the fictional account of the Californian, her crew and the aftermath of a list of bad decisions and reactions. There were also the repetitive chapters that ended as filler and I didn’t exactly care for how the sections abruptly changed to the narrator’s own imagined tragic tale of what a family of eleven endured on that cold April night. Finally I understand the litany of strong messages this book was determined to convey and make a stark comparison to our own modern times but I just wanted to get back to the main story and stop the choppy feeling that followed me throughout this novel. Honestly, The Midnight Watch is not a bad book, it has something to say and it makes a statement which would be perfect for an hour long discussion at a book club but for me I was really looking and hoping for something else.


 *I would like to thank St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read The Midnight Watch: A Novel of the Titanic and the Californian 


Title Released: April 5, 2016
 

No comments:

Post a Comment