Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois by Sophie Perinot

Final Rating: 3.5/5
  
  Although a kinder view of Marguerite de Valois was refreshing to see presented, I can’t honestly say I fully enjoyed this novel. Perhaps I wasn’t in the right mood but it was very hard to stay focused on Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois and quite a few times throughout I wished to find another view presented in its many pages. There was an atmosphere of the 16th century that seemed slightly missing in its full richness and glory and I’m sorry to say- I thought Marguerite dully portrayed and a little irksome (especially in the beginning). The other central characters were also missing something vital to come alive for me and lust and passion scenes seemed to overtake the story becoming sadly repetitive but the attention to history and dark foreboding with symbols and visions were quite impressive and this novel does give a valiant effort. It may have not exactly ended as a truly captivating read for me but I will still keep it for my kindle shelves for the history offered and its powerful messages and would recommend this novel to those who are looking for a satisfactory tale with love, betrayal, sacrifice and war all seen through the passionate eyes of a Princess of France.
 
* I would like to thank St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read Médicis Daughter: A Novel of Marguerite de Valois


No comments:

Post a Comment