Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Flight of Dreams: A Novel by Ariel Lawhon

Final Rating: 1.9/5
 An easy voyage into history with high-flying romance at the helm
 
 
  Introductions and invitations to learning new divisions of the past are always welcome to see but for me, I’m afraid I was already familiar with this subject and Flight of Dreams didn’t take my interest or imagination soaring to any unforeseen place unfortunately. Following the tried and true Hollywood approach to historical fiction, this novel uses a historic catastrophe as a way to display human drama in many forms and views that unfortunately felt choppy and at other times never seeming to fit comfortably in the compartments of the growing action. Of course we have a jumbled romance in the high skies and a countdown to disaster trailing the line of the reader’s curiosity to see who survives and if love will somehow rise triumphantly in the end. Perhaps a few years ago, I would have been more inclined or excited to follow this familiar plan of events or ignore the certain bumps of: predictable mysteries, repetitious innuendos, modern dialogue and beliefs or some of the overdone scenes but I didn’t care at all for the different romantic entanglements, was completely surprised by the oddly placed profanity in this easy going novel and I continually found my mind straying to the lesser plots. Sorry I didn’t entirely enjoy Flight of Dreams but I can see this type of novel always finding an eager audience and that will ultimately keep the memory of the past going, so we will never forget others’ stories.

*I would like to thank Doubleday Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read Flight of Dreams: A Novel


 Title Released: February 23, 2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment