Tuesday, May 5, 2015

An Appetite for Violets by Martine Bailey

Final Rating: 2.8/5

   I have to be honest; I was disappointed with this story of secrets of servants and masters and desire to explore memories through collected recipes. This was one novel I have been anticipating for months which sounded like a change from the ordinary with an intriguing savory Gothic journey and an under-cook as the reader's guide from the quaint English country side to refined Italian villas; I think I was expecting too much sadly. This novel starts out with a striking opening but then gradually loses its desired flavour and relies on loosely stringed events to cart the story from one destination to another with a new receipt for the narrator to collect for her journal. Although an appealing inspiration for some reason the effect became lost, overdone and it all just didn't work for this reader. I was expecting more and sadly found this lite history with tastes and smatterings of the time period but not enough to clearly distinguish the 18th century and the dialogue strange with mixtures of snippets of modern with addled country tones.

   I have not noticed other reviewers commenting on this next observation, there are some memorable passages with graphic content that may have a few curious readers turning away but I can only think of two graphic scenes that may disturb some. It all depends on the reader. On the other side of the coin I was very interested with the incorporation of history and food and the character of Obedience Leigh ("Biddy") was a lively character and the very beginning of her journey and the side stories of those of Mawton Hall were also very enjoyable. There are also little glimmers of some classic Gothic inspirations such as The Moonstone and Lady Audley's Secret that make appearances but are very briefly explored and left this reader wanting much more. All and all, An Appetite for Violets could be worth some readers time if they enjoy lite history, culinary journeys with a memorable and lively narrator and an ending that makes you stop and think about those gone and the special meals you shared- this may be your next read.


-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment