Sunday, May 31, 2015

Watch the Lady by Elizabeth Fremantle

Final Rating: 2.8/5


    Romantic saga that introduces us to a historical figure many may have never heard of before.
   
   If history and current interpretations of events have taught the modern reader anything, it is that the most dangerous place in England to walk into during the 16th century was the Tudor court. It is depicted as an infamous nest of sharp-tongued vipers and den of hungry wolves that held no guarantee for one who stepped foot into the halls would survive to see another winter or spring. Multiple footnotes and passages of history books support this depiction that behind the pageantry and forced smiles lurked ill-intent and no one be that man, woman or innocent child seemed safe from being deemed an as enemy or the poisoned whispers of gossip that if dripped into the right ears could lead to banishment, imprisonment or death. And it is into these exact harrowed chambers that Watch the Lady takes the reader and introduces us to a figure many may have never heard of before. Her name Penelope Devereux and her journey in this den of secrets, lies and webs of complicated games of power is one that just may garner excitement from different types of fiction admirers alike.

  Those familiar with Ms. Fremantle’s novels know all too well what may happen in these pages and be tempted to peek and fully research the names in Watch the Lady before finishing. That is your decision but I personally prefer in looking after and finding that strange or shocking events that were mentioned in these types of stories are actually based on truth and that the author has put the time into proper researching and made the events come alive; but that is just me. I love to be surprised while I’m reading and in Watch the Lady there were some very fascinating twists and turns but a lot of patience was required on my part to get to those chapters. After reading Sisters of Treason (which I highly recommend) last year and now Watch the Lady, I think it is safe to say that the latter more suited to those who prefer more romance in their historical fiction than other aspects. While Sisters of Treason had all the brilliant characterization and depictions of history that brought the Courts of Queen Mary I and Queen Elizabeth I alive in multiple fantastic ways that kept me turning the pages with a smile, Watch the Lady didn’t have that effect on me sadly. Among the negatives for me were some details, melodrama (that although clever but at the same time completely unnecessary in many portions of the story) and pacing that just disappointed me overall to find in this novel. Presentations of dialogue (especially Queen Elizabeth I’s passages) were very laid-back in this novel and there were slips of modern sounding phrases throughout this story that were a little distracting. Finally there was the drama of events by year that never seemed to flow comfortably in this saga and I was really hoping for more chapters that would present the turmoil and unrest in all its facets of the time period.

  It seems I once again was anticipating too much with this new novel. I did though learn about another player on the board of court, monarchy and political games of England during the 16th to early 17th century and would still like to read more novels from this author; those positives make Watch the Lady an okay read in my mind. Perhaps a little too romantic, paced and a tad overly imaginative with events for me but this type of book may be exactly what other readers are looking for who are unfamiliar with this time period or have just been waiting for the right moment or character to explore history with.


* I would like to thank Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read Watch the Lady: A Novel

Release Date: June 9, 2015 

No comments:

Post a Comment