Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Firebird's Feather by Marjorie Eccles

Final Rating: 2.7/5

A wispy postcard of London during 1911 with unorthodox and Orthodox themes

  The Firebird's Feather was my first title but certainly not my last read from Ms. Eccles. With a setting and plot I would never decline an invitation to visit, I had no idea what to expect and by the last page I had a neutral feeling that finally settled this morning on I liked this title enough to try another. A light historical mystery is how I would describe The Firebird's Feather; enough details shared to capture a wispy postcard of London during 1911 with a genteel lady's murder at the center and the beginning of a desperate quest for answers for a young woman on the cusp of entering society. This alone would usually completely enchant this reader but I am sorry to say I had a difficult time staying focused on this title in the beginning and a few parts throughout.

  Characters were introduced only at a distance and the main character even more at a distance to this reader. It seemed many times the main character fluttered from event to event and I never felt engaged and more interested in following other characters. Unfortunately no character could be found however what I did find to follow were the unique details and topics that propelled the story. With the brilliant introduction of Slavic folklore and particularly the story of the Firebird this title became an interesting find and a clever meeting of England and Russia that I would recommend to those potential readers who love to encounter unorthodox and Orthodox themes.

 
* I would like to thank Severn House and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and enjoy The Firebird's Feather.

No comments:

Post a Comment