![]() |
| Final Rating: 2.7/5 |
Something a little different for those of us who cannot resist the magic of the Highlands and Loch
Raise your hand if you love to read anything to do with Scotland. I'm raising mine proudly, ever since I was a little girl I have been drawn to this land of: rolling green mountains, breathtaking castles, rising highland mists, mysterious dark waters, noble heritages and oh the accent, how can we forget that swoon-worthy accent. I can thank my Mother for my attraction to Scotland, by allowing me access at a young age to certain films, novels and encouraging my absolute fascination with history. So it is safe to say now when I see a new novel especially one that is fiction with historical accents about the Highlands and Loch; I must have it. Enter At the Water's Edge, when I read this novel's description such visions danced in my mind and overall it was strangely entertaining.
I was a little surprised that I found myself still reading after the beginning chapters and was downright shocked I was still turning the pages after everything shifted to across the Atlantic. During a devastating world war, a crazy idea to just go sailing to look for a widely believed plesiosaur (that makes one wild plot that needs handled differently) but you know somehow this story kept up the pace of changing topics and this reader's attention. The story then shifts to trials of travel and the actual search for a monster in Scotland's lochs. I had to admit that this part especially grabbed my attention being that I love to read about folklore, myths and cultural superstitions. I was not disappointed about those details, and soon found another aspect to enjoy with this novel. Very quickly this story turned dark, it went from lighthearted and a little silly to serious and amplified. Period details are shared with the reader at this point concerning the war and how it was faced by those left behind to wait and pray for their loved ones safe return.
I believe the details of this story kept me fully interested and when the true sinister aspect of the story appeared along with descriptions of the land then I couldn't put this novel down. But then around the 80% mark this novel lost all steam and left this reader rolling her eyes and at a few points slapping her kindle down in disgust. I will not spoil anything for any reader but I couldn't stop shaking my head at the end. However others may not even notice what disgusted me and love every passage and that's wonderful if so. Overall this was an okay read, it was quick, more or less entertaining and did have its moments. It may help to try to forget actual history and expect a more Hollywood approach if you are interested in this one. It would make an exciting movie and I'm a little ashamed to say this reader would go see it depending on the casting or maybe I would wait for it and get it at the library. Still this is one read for those who like me can't resist the magic of the Highland and Loch, just be prepared for something a little different than what you may be envisioning.
*I would like to thank Spiegel & Grau and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and enjoy At the Water's Edge

No comments:
Post a Comment