Friday, May 1, 2015

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

Final Rating: 2.7/5

    Although This House is Haunted entices the reader with the requisite components of an old fashioned ghost narrative, and on some levels accomplishes the suspense and mystery that consists in some of the classics of the Gothic literature era; it all ends with a clear distinction that crosses the line into the contemporary versus staying true to the era. It really disappointed this reader to find this distinctive line crossed, and in anticipation of the season I really desired a Victorian inspired Gothic tale that was more treat than trick.

   The supreme positives of This House is Haunted were: the author's ease with Victorian dialogue, atmosphere, creating mystery and the unknown opposed to relying on gore and shock to capture the reader's attention, the understated messages of family and devotion and finally an entertaining spin on explaining the supernatural. On the other side of the coin however, the negatives were mainly caused by the aforementioned use of modern thinking that crept into the main character's actions and musings, the final dramatics, the absurd end resolution and the overall predictability that was caused by clear foreshadowing that haunted every other chapter. Do I regret my decision to spend my nights with This House is Haunted? No, I do not. The novel held a flickering of the read I anticipated ever since I saw the synopsis advertised and I suppose I could recommend This House is Haunted to those who are just looking for a Gothic themed novel but for those who are looking for something a little more, you may be disappointed.


-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment