![]() |
| Final Rating: 1.7/5 |
There was a flickering of something interesting...
I have to be honest; there was a flickering of something interesting in The Uninvited Guests. Having a setting that usually completely enchants and themes I generally love to encounter in fiction, I have been saving The Uninvited Guests for a special seasonal treat. But with only a wink of a chapter that caught this reader's full attention and the rest not the different kind of treat I have been craving; I am sorry to say I was beyond disappointed with this title. This was an excellent overall idea of a novel but The Uninvited Guests seemed to mash too many flavors of styles into one tale and the dialogue was woefully bland and detached. I am also sad to list among the negatives that the surprises and twists were also obvious before the first ominous inkling was even approached and the ending was just drawn out and absurd with the forced events.
Although the story kept the historical details seamless in respects to the time period and I found the almost satire of aristocratic snobbery amusing and reminiscent of a few personal favorite classics, it just wasn't enough to avoid that dreaded question "why did I read that?" as soon as the last page turned for this reader. Still with everything, if the potential reader is looking for a different flavored read with a 1912 setting that reveals an eerily dark center, The Uninvited Guests may be worth sampling.
-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:
Post a Comment