Sunday, May 3, 2015

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

Final Rating: 2.8/5
   
   What is it about the story of the Fitzgeralds that draws many of us like moths to a consuming fire? Is it the fascination with the excess and frivolity of the era the golden couple dominated, the fine line of eccentric brilliance and unbalance they both danced or is it just human nature to want to read about tragedy and misfortune of others? With so much material to mold and conjure into a striking portrait of Zelda Fitzgerald and F. Scott Fitzgerald during their rise, ultimate fall from grace and arguable codependent relationship, I'm so sorry to say Z: a novel of Zelda Fitzgerald disappointed this reader.

   I thought this novel had been waiting long enough on my to-read list and on a whim purchased it, I wish now though I read more reviews or did more research. Ultimately I never lost myself in this story like I hoped. With a broad expanse of topics to cover that made up the years of 1918-1940 I understand that a lot of topics had to be explained and brought into Zelda's narration but for this reader it just became muddled with anachronistic dialogue, terms, and misplaced facts to point of frustrating distraction. Certain topics were also forced into the narration and became irksome to see in continuous pages. In regards to pacing, I found it sadly slow and tedious to the point of almost giving up.

  In the end, I am so sorry to say I think the central focus and time setting more than the choices of the direction of characterization kept me engaged enough to finish. However what disappointed this reader may fascinate and charm many enough to ignore the negatives. I wish those have a wonderful reading experience but it may help others to learn from my folly and maybe sample this novel, read a couple more reviews before their final decision or perhaps wait to read at your local library.


-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment