![]() |
| Final Rating: 3.1/5 |
A non-stop firework show about the Wars of the Roses
There seems to be a slew of books appearing in 2014 about the Wars of the Roses and why not with all the ingredients laid out by history for an imaginative mind to compose an impressive array that brings the 15th-century English and French events and names alive for their eager audience. Who doesn't want to read about the pious mentally inept king, a she-wolf from France, the devious dukes, an epic battle for a crown and an author's interpretation of the princes in the tower? I know every time I see a new book about the Wars of the Roses I hear my name called and enthusiastically await the release date. It's like a firework show, you wait with anticipation and then the show starts. Even though you have attended dozens of firework shows and know what to expect you have to see one more to see if more can be added. Stormbird (Wars of the Roses #1) became that one more show I had to see. After reading multiple reviews and watching the book trailer this was the book I just had to read and sadly I think I was expecting more than what was presented.
There is no doubt Stormbird (Wars of the Roses #1) is entertaining but it seems to be more suited for those readers who desire non-stop action and precious else. Although the battle scenes, the details about the importance of English longbows, superstitions, the depictions of archaic medical techniques and effects were entertaining at first and overall fascinating there just seemed to be a lack of characterization. I was hoping for a little more in terms of multifaceted characters and for the names from history to come alive. The beginning of the novel had promise and contained exactly what I wanted to see but then veered and tilted down a long succession of action scenes that just didn't stop and the names, dates and places began to blur for me. There were also these odd dialogue switches from historic to catch phrase modern. Several anachronistic terms and events were also evident but the author explains those at the end. Overall, there is no doubt that many readers will love Stormbird (Wars of the Roses #1) and that is wonderful but for those who are like me and want to see something a little different or like a little music with their fireworks you may be disappointed.
-read and purchased on kindle
Next in series:
![]() |
Margaret of Anjou (Wars of the Roses #2)by Conn Iggulden |


No comments:
Post a Comment