Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Widow's Confession by Sophia Tobin

Final Rating: 2.8/5

   With inspiration of such a picturesque locale, time period and an intricate showcased painting, The Widow's Confession had quite of a bit of possibilities to explore. So much so, that unfortunately the story became a little lost in the fog of different aspects of mystery and romance that it ultimately left this reader cold. Perhaps it is just me and I have not been having much luck with my recent title purchases but this one disappointed me. I will be honest and tell those interested that this novel is slow and ebbing, slow in developing any action or conflict and ebbing with the characters and mystery that is gets all tedious to the point that I thought about quietly moving along to other novels. Although tempting at a few points something kept me reading and I did manage to finish though. This is one of those reads you stop after turning the last page and think "and yet..and yet.."

   I did find the conclusion of events plausible but the journey was just sadly predictable to this reader. And yet the true positives of this read were the details. I applaud the research that went into and the incorporation into the story and perhaps that is what kept me turning the pages. Fascinating locations are visited by the central characters and in particular a few caught this reader's full attention and I would dearly love to see Margate Shell Grotto after viewing a photo gallery of this curious site. The believable incorporation of customs and era dialogue was also a joy to read, along with the catastrophe that can ensue from stepping away from tradition. And yet the characters were painted in shadow in the beginning but reveal too much of themselves so quickly at the end that there is nothing left to wonder about after they have been fully dissected with dramatic outbursts. In the end, I found The Widow's Confession a title that showcased fascinating details, vintage styled writing and although very paced; a decent winter night read.


-read and purchased hardback

No comments:

Post a Comment