![]() |
| Final Rating: 4.1/5 |
"As the footman opened the double doors of the Great Hall..."
The Fortune Hunter is a lovely historical romance that is set during 1875-1876 that features an unconventional heiress, a debonair horseman and a beautiful empress. Ms. Goodwin immerses her readers in the time period and captures the elegance and magnificence of the Victorian era complete with a few chapters containing appearances of the Queen and her Court. This novel will sweep readers into the ballrooms of England's elite and genteel standing and into grand drawing rooms of vivid detail that just beckons to the reader to peek around potted plants and bear witness to tender moments and first endearments. From the rolling hills of the English countryside in the midst of the hunt the action is centered and we gallop alongside a budding relationship that is based on truth between the Empress of Austria and a fortunate Captain. The daring entanglement that follows is one that will supply the reader with a splendid escape that will have them wondering who will William George "Bay" Middleton ultimately choose; the heiress with diamond drops on her ears or the empress with diamond stars in her hair.
In the end, I cannot deny this was a lovely and entertaining read. I enjoyed much of this novel and only caught a few slips in dialogue that bordered into the modern tone that momentarily distracted me. Much of the novel is based on a simple known fact that has been elaborated and stretched to fit modern tastes. If I did not know the truth and the actual facts I don't think I would give The Fortune Hunter a higher rating.
I'm sorry to say the last 200 or so pages dragged and the introductions and placement of certain fictitious characters and dealings began to annoy me and I found it hard to stay focused in the final stretch. Although the brilliant details of customs, etiquette, descriptions of late evening balls and ancestral manors had this reader captivated and desiring more- the ending was just so cloying that it was just too much for this reader. However, I understand others will probably want to see The Fortune Hunter brought to the silver screen as soon as possible because of the finale and who knows it may be decent. Speaking of decency if those are worried of being bludgeoned with overly vivid lust scenes and graphic depictions of the hunt fear not Ms. Goodwin has instilled modesty and grace in the boudoir scenes and hunt chapters that touches on details but then moves to another scene. If asked I would recommend The Fortune Hunter to those who love details of the Victorian period and are enchanted by the customs and manners of the Lords and Ladies of quality but for those who know the history of events concerning Empress Elisabeth of Austria and her visit to England during the 19th century and a few other details, you may be wholly disenchanted.
-Reviewed in August 2014, review written August 2014/ copy of THE FORTUNE HUNTER: A NOVEL borrowed from local library

No comments:
Post a Comment