![]() |
| Final Rating: 2.7/5 |
The best way I can describe this book to other readers is: think of a cross of The Twilight Zone with a history channel documentary on the court of Charles I and a certain movie directed by Robert Zemeckis (but sadly without the madcap black humor).
This novel did have its moments for this reader especially in the beginning chapters that explored the delicate psyche of Venetia Stanley and later when the viper wine made its appearance. To be honest, if this story stayed completely in the historical realm with its fascinating macabre notes and 17th-century English Court drama and out of the irritating post modern walk-ins and the static tangents then I would have enjoyed this novel more. I believe the real life mystery that made up a crucial part of this story is what kept me reading and yes I did manage to finish this. Viper Wine was completely out of the box in terms of anything I have ever read but it also reminded me why I prefer my little boxes of purely historical fiction. Still it was overall daring in its approach and if the reader has been searching for a literary experience that can be truly called unique try some Viper Wine, you just may like it.
* I would like to thank Hogarth and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read Viper Wine: A Novel

No comments:
Post a Comment