![]() |
| Final Rating: 1.7/5 |
I’m always looking for a chance to be swept back to fascinating eras of time and when I first read the premise for Newport I knew I found my next read. Aside from the decadent allure of the 1920’s, I had the possibility of the appearance of ghosts, séances, ugly secrets and shattering lies of Newport’s privileged to look forward to encountering. Those aspects alone have so much promise and could create such a spellbinding story that anyone would absolutely love; well not this time, hopefully next time though. Unfortunately, Newport seems to be one of those stories with all the right elements that you are either going to think is marvelous in every way or just shake your head in disappointment and want to forget about. I try not to use the word dull to describe books (even if I didn’t enjoy them) but I’m sorry this one was so dull in every facet and turn of the story. Not one of the characters was likeable or memorable and any type of excitement or action was entirely absent until the final 10% and then it was like a confused bull crashing through the pages resulting in a beyond ridiculous conclusion of events.
Thinking back one last time, what really left me sad about this whole novel was the replacement of the much anticipated Gothic tones and thorny mysteries with lackluster romances that carried no believable spark in the passages and held the book’s pace back even more. Details of the alternating eras were curiously scarce as well and I never received that much loved zephyr of atmosphere that I look forward to feeling when I am immersed in any historical fiction novel. I’m sure Newport will find its admirers and that’s great but for this reader the hunt for history and entertainment starts anew and I will be moving on to my next title. I just hope I can report back later with a much more encouraging reading experience.
* I would like to thank William Morrow Paperbacks and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read Newport: A Novel
Release Date: July 7, 2015

No comments:
Post a Comment