Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Church of Marvels: A Novel by Leslie Parry

Final Rating: 2.7/5

Guaranteed to draw the Curious…

   I have been thinking for weeks about Church of Marvels and what to say about this daringly unique debut. It was certainly something to experience and I do not fully regret reading this book. Like a well advertised show featuring the startling and oddities galore, Church of Marvels is guaranteed to draw crowds of the curious. A few may leave disappointed though and not like all that there is to see in this novel. I see others are in love with this debut and that’s fantastic but I seem to be among the few who think this novel was just not for them. It was just a little too out there with the numerous twists and loud “ta-daa!” moments throughout the chapters but I did stay until the end.

   This novel was well researched, daring, atmospheric and lyrical in its approach and with just a little mystery tossed into the story- I couldn’t look away from my kindle in the beginning. The setting of 19th-century New York City was presented so vividly and I couldn’t stop flipping the pages as the characters navigated through the rapidly changing locales that ranged from down foul alleyways, across scenic boardwalks to seedy establishments then to posh homes and back again. From the start this novel reminded me of a few favorite books (The Crimson Petal and the White and The Dress Lodger) with its dark tones and I couldn’t stop thinking this title would fit perfectly in a gift shop of a subsidiary of Ripley’s Believe It or Not with a few cult movie classics playing on the wall (sorry I won’t say which- that would lead to spoilers). The bizarre and fascinating kept the pace moving at an exciting speed and I thought the portions about Blackwell’s Lunatic Asylum were some of the best passages in this novel. If the reader has been looking for true harrowing descriptions of archaic medical and mental treatments; you will love Ms. Parry’s vivid imagination.

   So much to love about this novel but after the initial positives, the various strings of shock (and some were very predictable) began to tangle and strangle the suspense and it just moved into negative after negative for this reader. A key portion of the story became lost and left many unanswered questions. Usually that does not bother me, I can usually just make up in my mind a plausible resolution but with Church of Marvels- I had no idea what to think or what would make a good answer. The finale of this novel was also just too much for me but it certainly stayed with the general theme of this novel. Such a shame after a spectacular beginning, still I do look forward to more books by Ms. Parry. This is one author who is not afraid to push past boundaries and leap into the waiting arms of the bizarre of history.


*I would like to thank John Murray Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read Church of Marvels

No comments:

Post a Comment