![]() |
| Final Rating: 1.7/5 |
With Spring finally evident outside this reader's window, I thought Crossing on the Paris would be an appropriate calming selection. Adding to the positives that initially attracted me were the setting that appealed to my absolute fascination with early 20th-century ocean liners and synopsis calling to my love of a fine rich and poor story or in this case an above and below the waterline blend. I really thought this would be a perfect novel for me, one that would completely immerse me in a time period and hold me until the final page. I was sorely wrong.
This book rubbed me the wrong way from the beginning to overly sentimental ending. The actual SS Paris had art deco arrangements (sleek and historical charm throughout) and I was hoping this would also flow into this story but it felt choppy and was too lighthearted and restrained for my tastes. The characters were detached and the above and below the waterline acts, thoughts and dialogue came off very modern also the drama stretched believability too far for me being that class passengers and crew members could co-mingle so easily. Finally the ridiculous final resolutions and repetitiveness just had me shaking my head and asking myself "why did I read this?". This was clearly an overall mistake for me but at least I now have experience and will be wiser next time (that is what the serious situations and final messages in this novel have taught me). I honestly don't know if I can recommend this book it had potential but I couldn't wait to get off this ship of poor choices. Still, if the reader is looking for a lighthearted fling on a majestic ship that follows the lives and actions of 3 women from different stations that all have their own ghosts of the past and the Great War to face, well this may just be your ticket to sentimental adventures on the Atlantic. Bon Voyage!
-read and purchased on kindle

No comments:
Post a Comment