Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Miniaturist: A Novel by Jessie Burton

Final Rating: 2.7/5

   The Miniaturist is a novel with a simple message and an intricate secret behind every chapter. Usually these type of tales I adore and garner more excitement; sadly I closed The Miniaturist with no zeal to return to this storyline or interest to purchase this title for my shelves. This story captured my attention in the beginning with its Gothic entanglement and flourishing descriptions that promised something I was sure to love but then ventured into fanciful waters that just lost this reader. The history, setting and the curious key topics intrigued this reader and once the house cabinet made its appearance and the conflicts were hinted at and introduced; I honestly couldn't put this novel down. With the real life weather outside this reader's window mirroring the atmosphere of the story, I eagerly returned again and again to the story but then something shifted in the story and the chapters and mysteries felt repetitive and it just became too much of a good thing that ended with more shock tactics and modern trends that pushed my patience and I closed the novel asking myself why did I read that.

   I'm not sure I can honestly recommend The Miniaturist but it may be worth someone's time so I will try. It does have its moments of brilliance and there is a stunning promising horizon of talent here but depending of the reader this is a story they will either love or ask themselves why did I just read that? Either way there does seem to be an understated beauty of this tale, its hidden compartment of messages and secrets that entices the reader to curl up and question or marvel at the absurd in history and of course share their observations with others.


-Reviewed in October 2014, review written October 2014/ copy of THE MINIATURIST: A NOVEL borrowed from local library

No comments:

Post a Comment